Placer County Attorneys Seek Compensation for Bicycle Accident Victims
Sacramento-area firm represents cyclists injured by negligent drivers
There are many reasons to travel by bicycle. Whether your decision is based on gas costs, better fitness or environmental consciousness, the greater Sacramento area is a wonderful place to take to the road. Unfortunately, cyclists have to share that road with car and truck drivers who are often inattentive and distracted. Motor vehicle accidents involving bicycles are on the rise, and cyclists are susceptible to severe injuries. If you or a loved one is hurt cycling in Placer County or anywhere else in Northern California, Patrick Law Corp in Roseville is ready to help. We provide compassionate counsel and aggressive litigation services, as we fight for the maximum compensation possible for your losses.
Frequent causes of bicycle accidents in California
Despite communities building more designated bike lanes to enhance safety, collision between motor vehicles and bicycles are on the rise, often with devastating results. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, California lost 155 people to bicycle accidents in 2018. This was an increase over 2017, when 145 bike accident victims died, and 11,116 other cyclists were injured. This statistic might be partly attributed to the increased popularity of bike riding, but there are numerous other factors that lead to bicycle accidents, including:
- Driver error — Drivers often fail to give cyclists enough room when passing, and sometimes even attempt to share the lane with a cyclist when there is no bike lane. A motorist who is checking their cell phone or is distracted might fail to see a bicycle out of the corner of their eye. Sudden right turns might cut across a bike lane, cutting off a cyclist who cannot react in time to avoid being hit.
- Equipment failure — A blown tire or malfunctioning brakes can cause a cyclist to lose control.
- Road conditions — Bicycles are vulnerable to potholes, sudden changes in street level, debris in the road and other hazards.
- Lack of visibility — Especially at twilight and after sunset, bicycles can be hard to spot. An injury attorney at our firm will thoroughly investigate the facts of your accident to determine who is at fault, so we can take action to hold that person or institution accountable for your losses.
Experienced Roseville litigators handle a full range of cyclist injury claims
Bicycle accidents often produce worse injuries than car accidents, because cyclists are not protected by their vehicle’s body. In our practice, we have seen cyclists with a wide array of injuries, the most severe of which include:
- Concussions, skull fractures and traumatic brain injury
- Neck and back injuries
- Bone fractures, especially collar bones, wrists and ribs
- Skin lacerations
- Puncture wounds
Often with a bicycle accident, the secondary impact against the road surface, a curb or the sidewalk can be worse than the initial impact from a motor vehicle. If you’ve been hurt, but are able to speak with others at the scene, be sure to get identifying information from the driver involved in the crash and potential witnesses. Promptly calling an accident attorney at our firm will give us the best chance to locate the evidence needed to strengthen your case.
Contact a proven Roseville personal injury lawyer for a free bicycle accident consultation
Patrick Law Corp in Roseville provides aggressive personal injury representation for Californians hurt in bicycle accidents. To schedule a free initial consultation with a dedicated attorney, please call 916-226-6062 or contact us online. Our office is conveniently located off I-80, but we can come to your home or hospital room if necessary.